Volunteers play a vital roles in assisting providers as they carry out Lutheran Health Network's mission of creating a quality experience for everyone who enters the doors. Our dedicated team of volunteers help to ensure outstanding service in nearly every department. It is our mission to place volunteers in areas of their interests and ensure meaningful purpose-driven participation. We invite you to join our team today.
Why should I volunteer?
- Satisfaction of giving back to the community
- Make a difference in someone's life
- Opportunity to develop new skills or interests
- Socialize and meet new friends
What do volunteers do?
Lutheran Health Network offers several diversified opportunities that allow volunteers to use their skills. These opportunities vary by locations, but may include:
- Staffing reception desks
- Delivering flowers and mail to guests
- Assisting in surgery check in areas
- Provide assistance to patients and visitors
- Assist in completing special projects
Who can volunteer?
Anyone 14 years or older and have completed the eighth grade can volunteer. Volunteers must be able to perform the assigned tasks responsibly, follow directions and act appropriately in a hospital setting. Volunteers must typically commit to at least one four-hour shift per week.
Are there any rewards to volunteering?
We are grateful for our volunteers. In return, we offer numerous benefits in appreciation of their support. Each facility will possess their own provided benefits, but some may include:
- Free meal during volunteer hours
- Recognition for hours volunteered
- Invitation to various volunteer functions
- Discount at gift shop and more
How do I become a volunteer?
Fulfillment needs vary by facility. Contact the appropriate volunteer services manager for the hospital you intend to volunteer at for more information on requirements that should be met upon starting.
To begin the process, please:
- Contact your volunteer service manager for more information
- Complete a volunteer application
- Set up an interview with volunteer services manager
- Assisting patients and families with their needs
- Feeding and holding babies
- Helping children complete art/craft project
- Talking and listening to older teenagers and parents
- Playing board and video games and cards and much more
- Complete an application and provide references
- Complete necessary pre-placement requirements as specific by volunteer services manager
- Attend orientation
- Buy a uniform ($9.70 to $14, depending on size and style)
Interested participants will be expected to complete pre-placement requirements as requested by their specific volunteer services manager. You will also be expected to attend a general orientation.
What if I want to volunteer specifically with younger patients?
If you are interested in spending time with children who are patients at Lutheran Children's Hospital, volunteer positions are available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week. Volunteers must be dedicated, love children and willing to give at least four hours of their time each week. Volunteers must be 14 years of age and have completed eighth grade.
Responsibilities in pediatrics may include:
To become a pediatric volunteer:
Lutheran Health Network Volunteer Services